Side Effects Associated with Yasmin, Yaz, Ocella, Gianvi, Beyaz & Safyral
FDA Warnings About Side Effects
Many websites give detailed information about the fourth generation hormonal drug drospirenone and its warnings and side effects that have resulted in Yaz (and Yasmin) lawsuits. They also detail the status of the mass torts, multi-district litigation proceedings similar to class actions that involve other brands like Ocella, Beyaz, Safyral and Gianvi. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) funded a scientific study whose data confirmed that birth control pills containing the drug Drospirenone (DRSP) posed significantly higher risks in developing blood clot side effects associated with these oral contraceptives.
Contraceptives, by and large, combine two female hormones (estrogen and progestin) for the purpose of preventing pregnancy. Yasmin was the original contraceptive containing the drug drospirenone that was highly marketed in print material and TV commercials beginning in 2001. The first FDA warning was released in October 2008 because of the absence of proper warnings of the risks to consumers of contraceptives containing drospirenone and the possible Yaz side effects. Here is a summary of the FDA warnings of associated side effects:
- Blood clots deep in the vein (DVT – Deep Vein Thrombosis).
- Blood clots in the lung (PE – Pulmonary Embolism)
- Heart Attack
Drospirenone and Its Brand Names
Although all hormonal contraceptives pose some risk of developing blood clots, the FDA has determined that women using birth control pills containing the progestin drospirenone are at higher risk. Drospirenone is used in combination with the hormone estrogen in oral contraceptives to prevent pregnancy. Additionally, this drug is also approved to treat women with symptoms of premenstrual dysphoric disorder (PMDD), to help to elevate folate levels, and to treat acne. Brand names that contain the drug drospirenone include:
Taking Contraceptives Containing Drospirenone
If you have been taking one of the brand-named oral contraceptives listed above, and you are concerned about the risks associated with known Yaz side effects, here is some helpful information:
- Do not stop taking your birth control pills without first speaking with your doctor
- Discuss your concerns and possible risks with your doctor
- Educate yourself to the known symptoms of blood clots: persistent leg pain – especially when flexing, sudden shortness of breath or severe chest pain; seek the help of a medical professional immediately if any of these symptoms arise
- Smoking, combined with being over the age of 35, seriously increases your risks
- Consult with a products liability lawyer if you have already experienced harmful effects
If you have suffered from any Yaz side effect, Safyral side effect, Ocella side effect or any drospirenone side effect associated with the use of drospirenone, including pulmonary embolism, stroke, deep vein thrombosis, you are welcome to speak with one of our attorneys about your rights and your possible recourse and path to compensation that is available with a Yaz, Yasmin, Safyral, Beyaz lawsuit. Contact JTB Law Group at (877) 561-0000 or email us to learn more about your legal rights today.