Bayer and Yaz Lawsuit Settlements
Thousands of lawsuits have been brought against the Bayer Pharmaceuticals Company involving claims of the elevated risks and symptoms of Yaz, a very popular birth control pill used to prevent pregnancy. Yaz, Yasmin, Gianvi, Sayfral and Ocella are all oral contraceptives that contain the synthetic progestin drospirenone, which has been associated with elevated risks of developing pulmonary embolisms, deep vein thrombosis, heart attack and stroke. If you have taken Yaz and have experienced any adverse side effects, contact our office at (800) 9100-LAW to speak with a Yaz lawyer to help determine if you qualify for a lawsuit against Bayer as well.
- According to reports, Bayer has so far settled almost 5,000 cases of Yaz lawsuits totaling over $1 billion.
- The news reports go on to say that Bayer will also be settling all gallbladder cases. Bayer agreed to settle these cases, “but without admission of liability,” according to the reports.
- The German pharmaceutical giant has detailed in its own annual report that there still are over 13,000 claimants that have obtained a Yaz lawyer with pending lawsuits because of the symptoms of Yaz, Yasmin, and Ocella.
Bayer’s Response to Lawsuits
- Bayer is continuing to fight many of the lawsuits and is settling most of them on a case-by-case basis rather than as a class-action lawsuit where there is a global dollar amount set aside.
- For cases that involve deep vein thrombosis (DVT) or pulmonary embolism, Bayer still denies liability, but is settling cases after researching and conducting analyses of the medical records for each individual case before making a settlement offer.
- There are still over 3,000 pending cases for lawsuits claiming these particular types of symptoms of Yaz.
For those who are not familiar with all the news reports of the dangerous side effects of Yaz and Yasmin, the problem is that these birth control pills contain a progestin called drospirenone. Most birth control pills combine the hormones estrogen and progestin to achieve the results of preventing pregnancy. Most oral contraceptives also have some risks of developing high blood pressure and in some cases blood clots as well. Drospirenone has increased the risks of deep vein thrombosis leading to higher incidences of pulmonary embolism, heart attack, stroke, and even death.
If you have been taking Yaz, Yasmin, Gianvi, Sayfral or Ocella as an oral contraceptive, and you are concerned about the risks associated with the symptoms of Yaz, here is some helpful information:
- Never stop taking your birth control pills (or any prescription medication) without first speaking with your healthcare professional
Discuss your concerns, risks, and side effects with your healthcare professional that are increased if you:
- Are over the age of 35
If you have suffered from any negative effects of Yaz, including pulmonary embolism, stroke, or other known side effects, please call 800-910-0529 to speak with a Yaz lawyer from The JTB Law Group today to find out if you can receive compensation. You can also email us to set up a free, confidential consultation. Help is available, so contact us today.